Wednesday, August 19, 2009

More Fun and Games

We have a consultant who works four days per week. Nominally, he is retired, but he apparently has nothing better to do than to come to the Biotech Mecca and help out. Perhaps this because he is incredibly enlightened. It is certainly not because he is well paid. In fact, he went for several months where he wasn't paid at all. He grumbled a lot, but continued to show up.

Although this particular consultant knows his business very well (which is unusual at the Biotech Mecca), he is also very opinionated, which tends to encourage attack, especially from the Sarcastic Brit. The following exchange happened in the lunch room today. Unlike the yelling, cursing and threats of bodily harm that have often happened during meetings, this particular incident was "friendly". My memory of these events may not be perfect, as I didn't video tape the discourse. I will need to start carrying my camera.

Sarcastic Brit: I see that the enlightened one is wearing his nice white pants today.
Enlightened one: Do you have a problem with my pants?
Sarcastic Brit: No. Do you only wear them between Memorial day and Labor Day?
Enlightened one: No, I wear them at other times during the year too.
Sarcastic Brit: That's very unfashionable.
Enlightened one: You are very funny.
Sarcastic Brit: Of course I'm funny. I'm British. British people don't dream of becoming football players, or poets or great scientists. We just want to be funny. That's what we do.
Enlightened one: This is funny. - Dumps half a glass of water over Sarcastic Brit's head.
Sarcastic Brit: Where is the HR Person when you need her?
Bystander: You mean the one that has known the Enlightened one for twenty years?
Sarcastic Brit: Never mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment