Thursday, August 12, 2010

Have you heard anything?

Greetings readers.

Morale at the Mecca is at an all time low.

Nearly every morning, the Sarcastic Brit and I greet each other with the mutual inquiry of "have you heard anything?" Of course "heard anything" refers to the job hunt that both the Sarcastic Brit and I have been conducting over the last few months.

Apparently, we are not the only ones looking to get out. The Maytag repair man (our service engineer) is also actively looking for a job. Of course, he's no dummy, and has been asking for cash advances before he leaves for long distance service calls. He recounted the following discussion with MNB:

Maytag: I need to take the week of the 16th off.
MNB: Sorry, you need to give me at least three weeks notice for that.
Maytag: I'm not asking you. I'm telling you.
MNB: Of course you've been traveling a lot lately. Go ahead.

Today, we had our weekly engineering meeting. It wasn't pretty. Over the course of 90 minutes MNB managed to exclaim "I don't give a crap what the Sarcastic Brit says", ask my new new boss (this is Cronie #3 that MNB has brought in. Not to be confused with Cronies 4, 5 or 6. Or Cronies 7 or 8 for that matter) for a status report on my work, while I was sitting there. He also pronounced that the Sarcastic Brit and I can't be trusted with safety related tasks, and questioned the items on our task lists as being irrelevant. In all it was pretty much a standard meeting.

Strangely enough, It would seem that they gather in my office. I don't remember hanging the sign inviting people to drop in and kill an hour or two when they're too pissed to work. It's really bad for my productivity. Oh right... Maybe I should actually hang the sign and see who else shows up.

In the meantime, I am expecting an offer from a company down the street tomorrow or Monday. The Sarcastic Brit was one of my references. Apparently his conversation with the HR person went like this:

HR: Why is Harbinger leaving the Biotech Mecca?
Sarcastic Brit: Because he has a new boss who wants to replace him. Come to think of it, you don't have any other positions opening up, do you?
HR: We just may. Send me your resume.

Will this be the end of my tenure at the Mecca? I don't know. If they offer me a job sweeping the floor, it will be better than what I have now.
Will this be the end of the Silicon Valley Way? We shall see. There are still stories to tell. Hard to believe isn't it?

Will this be the end of the Silicon Valley Way? I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment