Sunday, October 25, 2009

What did you say this thing had to do?

The drawer assembly in the prototype instrument was designed by Captain Fantastic. Needless to say, it was - you guessed it - fantastic. Among its problems, it required alignment of the drawer position with respect to the stuff that was under the drawer. This should not have been a problem, as the alignment was in the direction of the drawer movement. The alignment can be done by moving the position of the switch that tells the machine when the drawer is closed. There was only one problem - you couldn't get to the limit switch while the thing was assembled, so alignment required testing the position, ripping the thing apart, adjusting the switch, putting it back together and doing it all over again (and again... and again...)

We asked Buffalo Bill to take a look at it. He spent several days, and complained mightily about how hard of a problem it was. Of course I was busy with another "urgent, critical, do-or-die" project and didn't figure that I would have much to offer the "mechanical designer" in the way of assistance. The Sarcastic Brit didn't figure that the problem was worthy of his attention either, as he was also very busy with another "urgent, critical, do-or-die" project. The result was that we told Buffalo Bill to "just sort it out and make it work". Bill was very proud of the resulting design. It had cute little brackets, and he had moved everything around. But, it was completely adjustable.

We got the parts in last week to test them out. The switches were in the wrong place. No matter, it was only a couple of milimeters and we could worry about it later. The next thing I noticed was that I couldn't get to the switches when the thing was assembled. Of course I only had one of the two switches in place. It's too late to mess with it though... so we will have to live with it. I decided to just install the other switch. So... I took the thing apart and installed the other switch. I quickly noticed however, that it was impossible to assemble the thing when both of the switches were in place. At this point, the "Fantastic" solution was looking pretty good.

Thankfully, we have a big scrap metal bin with all of the old parts in it. Flyboy keeps offering to take it to the scap metal dealer for us, and I keep resisting. I was reminded of the old Hercules cartoons where the Centaur is rooting through the dead tree to find Herc's bow and arrows or other crap. There were pieces of metal all over the lab floor, but at last, I found the pieces!

I started looking at the design... I knew how to do it... all I had to do was cut a hole through the top of the drawer for the limit switches. Feeling very proud of myself, I went to find Buffalo Bill to tell him about the problem, and the solution.

Buffalo Bill took the news pretty well. He had kind of figured (so he said anyway) that it would require three wrists to adjust the swtich position. He assured me again that it was very difficult to figure out how to do it, and that his design was the only way to fit everything in. I suggested that we would have to move the switches to the other side. He responded that there was no room there. But... that's where they were before he moved them.

Finally, I was forced to walk away. It was Friday afternoon, and I wasn't going to worry about the fact that our mechanical designer (with about 25 years of experience) couldn't figure out how to design the pieces, even after I told him how to do so. It looks like Monday will be mechanical design day for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment